1997 UBC Interstory Drift Requirements for Glass Cladding

There has been discussion on the SEAOSC List Service concerning whether glass
cladding manufacturers can comply with the 1997 UBC Interstory Maximum Drift
requirement equal to 0.025 h.

Allan Rubens, President of A. R. Associates, is presenting an hour and
one-half seminar on the subject "Designing Structural Glass Walls" on March
8, 2000, in San Francisco, CA at the Concourse Exhibition Center at 600
Townsend on the corner of 7th and Townsend.  Cost is $20.  Contact George
Mills at email: gmasc(--nospam--at)sirius.com for more information.

I have just finished talking with Allan Rubens, who is a manufacturer's
representative for Pilkington Glass Ltd.,  which has developed the
Pilkington's Planar System, a float glass system that can, according to his
discussion, accommodate seismic interstory drifts in compliance with the 1997
UBC Interstory Drift Requirements.

Allan Rubens suggests that anyone wanting to know more about the Pilkington's
Planar System should log on to Allan Rubens and Associates' web site:
http:\\home.pacbell.net\arassoc and then click on Pilkington Glass.  I have
log on to his web site and Pilkington Glass and found it very informative.

Please do not misconstrue my email message is a commercial for Allan Rubens
and/or Pilkington Glass.  I am putting up this email message to better inform
the earthquake engineering design professionals, who specify the 1997 UBC
Interstory Drift requirements, about glass cladding manufacturers and
installers, who believe they can meet the 1997 UBC Interstory Drift.

I have no conflict of interest or financial incentive to post this email
message.

I sell nothing!

Frank E. McClure   February 29, 2000