RE: Why make any discussions private?

George,
One of the problems with the Listservice is that the subscribers are not in
favor of simplifying the subject posting to make it easier to archive or
filter the messages. This generally means that we receive an average of 30
to 50 messages a day in which we need to take time to delete, organize, save
or reply.
Multiple lists are not intended to be private - only to give the majority of
the List members a choice if they would like to subscribe to other
discussion forums or not be troubled with receiving the information.

The second major point is that many subscribers are on large company
servers. I have received comments that indicates some company who are
unhappy with the amount of email that comes through their offices and would
rather not have their employees taking the time to read through everything.
Still, they acknowledge the importance of much of the information that is
shared.

I think it is reasonable (as we did with the Online computer listservice) to
allow the subscriber the choice of information they wish to receive. There
needs to be some compromise to this issue. In my opinion we should allow the
list member the choice of information they wish to receive OR institute a
simplified method of filtering messages by some basic coding of the subject
line.

BTW, this was one of the goals which the SEAOSC board of directors asked of
us which we were unable to comply with. They wanted an easier way to archive
information and opinions on various topics which, as many of you know who
try to search the archives, is difficult to do without some knowledge of the
subject title.

Dennis S. Wish PE