RE: bins, hoppers, silos and bunkers

Ken,

Being a former "tankie" I highly recommend the Gaylord and Gaylord text.
There is also a good general chapter in the "Structural Engineering
Handbook" also by Gaylord and Gaylord.

Some others that may be helpful:
"Process Equipment Design" by Brownell and Young
"Design and Construction of Silos and Bunkers" by Safarian and Harris
"Steel Plate Engineering Data" (Vol.1 Steel Tanks for Liquid Storage, Vol.2
Useful Information on the Design of Plate Structures) by American Iron and
Steel Institute and Steel Plate Fabricators Association

Also "Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain" is invaluable for use in flat
plate design.

I believe that there may be some design programs out there, but I can't
recommend any personally.  If you plan on doing a great deal of this type of
work you would probably be better off writing your our routines or
spreadsheets.

William Pulyer PE
Charlotte, NC