Re: Basketball Backboards

For schools, the manufacturers provide the loads imparted to the structure.
Therefore a lot depends on the configuration of the apparatus, whether or not
the rims are breakaway, the framing to support the backboard.

The manufacturers generally provide the loads on the shop drawings.  A rule of
thumb that I have used is 1000 lbs applied to the back board in any direction,
plus the apparatus weight.

Bart Needham