Re: How about a private listservice for

It is not only calcs performed by someone else, but even calcs that you,
yourself, performed that could become very mysterious.

I first noted that when I was still in school and looked over problems and
notes from the *previous* semester and wondered what I did.  I have tried to
annotate my calcs sufficiently so that they would be decipherable, but I
still find myself wondering what I did when I look over my calcs from 2, 5,
10, or 20 or more years ago.  The only explanation that I would have is, "I
had a perfectly logical reason for it at that time."  Usually I have to get
into the same train of thought I was in when I did the calcs and then the
reason would quickly come to mind, and what I did would then be "perfectly
logical."

However, I would not be in favor of a separate listservice for plan check
engineers.  Much of what would be discussed on a separate list would be
beneficial to the particpants on this list, and if we can make our submittals
clearer, then they would get thru the plan check process faster, and the
owner and our client would be happier, which should make us happier.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Thor Tandy wrote:

>>Dennis

I agree with you.  While it is often difficult to remember that somewhere,
someone else has to read the calcs, it is important that we remind ourselves
to coordinate our drawings with the arithmetic we are carrying out.  I often
used to complain that the calcs should be able to be read by a third party
with no previous knowledge of the project.  That being said, more than one
text book in this world is grossly guilty of just that!

When I practised in New Zealand I did many structural checks and had the same
comment.  Even doing in-house checking I would find that significant design
judgments made on one or two lines of simple unintelligible calculation.  Try
telling a senior supervisor to clean up his act...?? :-).  It was often
frustrating if I had to assure the design was competent.