RE: How about a private listservice for

Roger,
I find it hard to believe, based on your extensive knowledge and level of
expectation that you could ever have produced a set of calculations that
would be anything but perfectly organized. I am not being facetious. It is
apparent that you have exceedingly high standards and generally this beings
from the very basics.

I am pleased to say that I learned early in the game that the greater care
you take in the presentation of your work the less likely you are to have
plan check corrections.

This is what surprises me most from some of the submittals I receive. They
are engineers known to me who have very strong reputations but whose work I
find very difficult to interpret. As I stated, it can take a few hours which
I believe can be avoided in order to work through a calculation package and
set of drawings before the intention of the EOR or designer becomes
apparent.

If anything, we should be offering classes or continuing education credit in
presentation of work.

Another problem I have is when an engineer deviates from the conventional
methodology to use another approach which, although acceptable, is not well
known to the plan checker. I had this situation when I reviewed plans from
an engineer outside my area who I knew well. It was a retrofit of a URM
building. Rather than follow the typical UCBC methodology, he chose to
design by ultimate strength method. This is perfectly fine, but I had been
designing retrofits of over 300 buildings in my time and never used this
approach. I must conceded that I ended spending hours reviewing his package
to learn what he had done and see that he achieved the same end as I would
with a working stress method.

After working as both an independent engineer and a contract plan checker I
quickly gained respect for the hardship a plan checker faces every time he
opens a new set of drawings and calc's to review. In many ways it is very
much like a puzzle that takes time for all the pieces to fall into place.

Going back to the issue of presentation, how do other plan checkers deal
with calculations which are not supported by sufficient commentary or hand
justifications? If it is not an commercial software, are you justified to
ask for sample calculations to show the accuracy of the program? Or, do you
assume that the engineer is responsible for getting the math right and we as
plan reviewer only interested in assuring the detailing is correct?

Opinions????

Dennis