RE: How about a private listservice for

Dennis,

Several painful occurrences in my professional career have forced me to
produce design calculations that can be followed and understood.  I have had
my calculations reviewed internally, reviewed by clients such as the Corps
of Engineers, NRC, peer reviews, and reviewed by municipalities all over the
U.S.  It became essential to create a logic path for the reviewers to
follow.  I also like to use MathCad, and use the automatic page number
generation (I am lazy).  Another factor is the size of the projects that I
work on require calculations by several structural engineers that need to be
knit together.

Using MathCad templates has required me to develop 2 sets of templates, a
general set and a project specific set.  I always start with the general set
that includes every variant that I have ever run across with all the
annotations that allow me to use it over and over again (I am long on
forget, and short on remember).  The annotations are where I list the logic
and input comments from past reviewers.  When I perform a calculation for a
specific project, I delete what does not apply to that particular project.
If I run through additional checks (like crack width calculations) I save
that section in the general set as well as on my project specific set of
templates.  It takes a bit more time on the first few calculations, but I
save time on the many calculations that follow.

What I found was that a good table of contents is easy and essential.  It
forces me to organize my design methodology.  I organize it similar to the
following:
	1.	General (project identification, scope, applicable
references and codes, design material properties, Basic structural system
assumptions (shear walls, moment frames etc.).  	Genxx.xx
	2.	Load assumptions
		2.1	Seismic 	LdEQxx.xx
		2.2	Wind		LdWndxx.xx
		2.3	Live Loads	LdLLxx.xx
	3.	Framing members (hor.)
		3.1	Floor Beams  	Bm1stFlxx.xx, Bm2ndxx.xx, etc.
		3.2	Roof Beams	BmRfxx.xx
		3.3	Girts
	4.	Columns
	5.	Braced frames
	6.	Slabs
	7.	Foundations
	8.	Masonry Partitions
	9.	Misc.
	Appendix (Computer runs, photos, field surveys, etc.)

I use alphanumerics to create a logical prefix on the page numbers.  If I
shuffle the order of the major topics in the final assembly, it is not a big
deal; I just change the table of contents page.  The page number system also
allows me to insert calculations without changing all of the page numbers in
the set.  Many reviewers have a lot of heart burn when I use spreadsheet
templates unless I have a lengthy verification.   I generally use
spreadsheet templates to get the most economical solution, and then use a
MathCad template to develop the final design calculations.  This approach is
generally acceptable to reviewers.  I also ask the reviewing authorities in
advance for a list of  software that is acceptable.

This is just my humble attempt to create order.  Are there any other more
well developed systems out there?

Regards,
Harold Sprague