Wind load on open box

I would second the recommendations of Rick Drake.  It should be remembered
that on a wall (or fence) that you not only have the active pressure on the
exposed face, but you have drag forces (suction) on the lee face.  While
there may be some streamlining of the wind over the walls, the height of the
walls in comparison to the rest of the building dimensions would minimize
build up of internal pressures.  I would use a C(e) of 1.3 to 1.5 on each
wall to account for the combined pressure and drag forces.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

James Lane wrote:

>>Have an existing 20'x20'x16'height box with the top open. The box sets on
the top of a roof.

Question: Does the second (leeward wall) pick up full wind pressure as the
first wall? Any good references for how much the second wall will pick up.

In the past I have always been conservative and used full pressures on both.
What if the bax were smaller the first wall would shield the second wall and
you would think pressures would be less.

Any comments<<