Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Stamping by SE vs. CE

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I have been trying to find in writing when a California Structural Engineer must seal drawings, versus when a California Civil Engineer may seal drawings.  My understanding is as follows;
California Hospitals & Schools MUST be sealed by a SE 
California Essential Service Facilities MAY be sealed by a CE or SE.
In Los Angeles County, buildings over 160 feet MUST be sealed by a SE.
Most everything else may be sealed by a CE or SE.
My question relates to a Essential Service Communications Tower, a separate stand-alone structure, designed by an Oregon vendor, sealed by their California CE. Wind controls the tower design.  Communications towers are designed to a special Code, which is more stringent than Title 24.  The main Essential Service Building at the site is sealed by a California SE.
Any comments? 
Steve Uthoff, S.E.
PS.  I have done a little research at  This lists the 29 Codes that form California Law (along with the State Constitution and Statutes)
The Health and Safety Code, Division 12.5 Buildings used by the Public, Chapter 2 Essential Services Buildings, Section 16015 allows a CE or SE to seal Essential Services Buildings.
The Health and Safety Code, Division 107 Statewide Health Planning and Development, Part 7 Facilities Design Review and Construction, Section 129805 requires a SE to seal Hospitals.
The Education Code, Division 1, Part 10.5 School Facilities, Chapter 3 Construction of School Buildings, Section 17329 allows a CE or SE to seal Schools (Surprisingly !! ??)
The Business and Professions Code, Division 3, Chapter 7 Professional Engineers (defines the Board of PE and Land Surveyors), seems to be silent on what an SE and CE may do. (Surprisingly !! ??)