Re: Stamping by SE vs. CE

A CE may sign essential building documents.  See Cal H&SC 16015.
The City of LA Cannot require an SE on buildings over 160 feet.  Only the State can regulate the practice of professions.  See B&P Code 460.

Steve Uthoff wrote:

I have been trying to find in writing when a California Structural Engineer must seal drawings, versus when a California Civil Engineer may seal drawings.  My understanding is as follows; California Hospitals & Schools MUST be sealed by a SECalifornia Essential Service Facilities MAY be sealed by a CE or SE.In Los Angeles County, buildings over 160 feet MUST be sealed by a SE.Most everything else may be sealed by a CE or SE. My question relates to a Essential Service Communications Tower, a separate stand-alone structure, designed by an Oregon vendor, sealed by their California CE. Wind controls the tower design.  Communications towers are designed to a special Code, which is more stringent than Title 24.  The main Essential Service Building at the site is sealed by a California SE. Any comments? Steve Uthoff, S.E.  PS.  I have done a little research at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html.  This lists the 29 Codes that form California Law (along with the State Constitution and Statutes) The Health and Safety Code, Division 12.5 Buildings used by the Public, Chapter 2 Essential Services Buildings, Section 16015 allows a CE or SE to seal Essential Services Buildings.The Health and Safety Code, Division 107 Statewide Health Planning and Development, Part 7 Facilities Design Review and Construction, Section 129805 requires a SE to seal Hospitals.The Education Code, Division 1, Part 10.5 School Facilities, Chapter 3 Construction of School Buildings, Section 17329 allows a CE or SE to seal Schools (Surprisingly !! ??)The Business and Professions Code, Division 3, Chapter 7 Professional Engineers (defines the Board of PE and Land Surveyors), seems to be silent on what an SE and CE may do. (Surprisingly !! ??)