RE: Lead time for steel JOISTS

I just went through the same crap with another contractor.  This guy has a
buddy that is a steel erector, so he wanted to change the building from
metal plate trusses to steel joist.  Approximately 95% of the work I do is
steel bar joist; however, for this particular building in the proposed
market place, the architect and I thought wood trusses would be a little
cheaper.  Of course, the contractor could prove his method was better.

By the way, I am currently in a battle with this guy.  He thinks the
building is so simple that he can fabricate the building himself, without
shop drawings.  I about hit the roof when I heard this.  I wrote a five page
letter to the OWNER, but I think it went in one ear and out the other.  I
have informed eveyone that if shop drawings were not supplied and the
contractor was not run off, I was pulling myself as the EOR.  The building
is constructed under the UBC jurisdiction.  Does the UBC have some verbage
somewhere that would give me a little more leverage with the building
official.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.