RE: Lead time for steel JOISTS

Brian

The building code does not require that shop drawings be submitted.  Your
only leverage would seem to be if you can show that the Contractor is not
constructing the building in accordance with the building code requirements
and that when the defects are reported no effort is made to correct them.

I would suggest that you consult with an attorney regarding your
recommendation that the Contractor be replaced and your threat to resign as
the Engineer of Record.  This could be a mine field and could expose you to
claims of slander or libel if not handled properly.

This is a classic situation whereby one of the parties on the team does not
play by the rules or doesn't do his job competantly and as a result greatly
increases the risk exposure to everybody.   I would be interested in
stratagies used by others to deal with this type of situation.

Mark Gilligan

I just went through the same crap with another contractor.  This guy has a
buddy that is a steel erector, so he wanted to change the building from
metal plate trusses to steel joist.  Approximately 95% of the work I do is
steel bar joist; however, for this particular building in the proposed
market place, the architect and I thought wood trusses would be a little
cheaper.  Of course, the contractor could prove his method was better.

By the way, I am currently in a battle with this guy.  He thinks the
building is so simple that he can fabricate the building himself, without
shop drawings.  I about hit the roof when I heard this.  I wrote a five
page
letter to the OWNER, but I think it went in one ear and out the other.  I
have informed eveyone that if shop drawings were not supplied and the
contractor was not run off, I was pulling myself as the EOR.  The building
is constructed under the UBC jurisdiction.  Does the UBC have some verbage
somewhere that would give me a little more leverage with the building
official.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.
<