Shop Drawings

Brian,

I am not aware of any UBC or AISC provision that requires shop drawings.
The shop drawing process typically protects the fabricator. By reviewing the
shop drawings the engineer is indicating that the fabricator has correctly
interpreted the design drawings, and if subsequent changes are requested the
fabricator is contractually entitled to compensation.  Since the detailing
department must communicate to the shop floor how to prepare and fabricate
the pieces, shop drawings are a natural part of the fabricators internal
process.  Having the shop drawings approved is simply prudent practice.

On many jobs I will specify that the contractor / fabricator is to submit
shop drawings for approval in the general notes.  Often the shop drawing
requirement is in the specifications.  If either of these is true in your
case the fabricator is in violation of his contract obligations (drawings
and specifications).

If the contractor / fabricator does not submit drawings for approval, and
you see anything that does not meet your design intent during structural
observation, the fabricator will delay the project while he corrects
everything at his own expense.

Personally, I do not see how they can fabricate and erect without some form
of shop and erection drawings (I have received some pretty crude shop
drawings in the past, but artistic quality is not a requirement).  Nor do I
understand why they would not wish to protect themselves through the
approval process.  Without approved shop drawings releasing them for
fabrication, any work performed is entirely at their own risk.

Is the contractor / fabricator intending to fabricate the steel joists
himself?  If so, then this is a completely different ball game.  Since you
did not specify the joist construction in your design drawings, the
fabricator is required to submit drawings and engineering of these items
under UBC section 2221 and 106.3.4.2

Paul Feather
San Diego, Ca