X-ray equip and surgical light supports

1) Does the structural designer of a medical building normally design the
supports for x-ray equipment and surgical lighting within the scope of
building design services?  I have done so in the past, and am currently
working on one.  It's my judgement that these support structures require
close to as much attention as the remainder of the building, mainly because
determining the loading is difficult from the manufacturer's submitted
literature.

2) For support of ceiling tracks for x-ray equipment, the manufacturer says
the EOR shall verify that "support structure shall absorb 400 lbs falling
through a distance of 6" with load absorbed by any 48" length of track."  My
approach has been that the equivalent static load is determined by the
absorbed energy (2400 in-lb) and is proportional to the moment of inertia of
a beam or area of a tension member.  The equivalent static load is huge
compared to the table of applied loads given in the manufacturer's load
specifications.  My guess is deflection will almost always control.
Question:  Is this type of dynamic load really used in design?

John P. Riley, SE
Riley Engineering
Blue Grass, Iowa