RE: effective flange width for concrete box girder

The effective width provisions have nothing to do with crack control.
Instead they are related to the distribution of compressive stresses in the
slab (or tensile stresses in the reinforcement).  There is a short
discussion of this consideration in "Reinforced Concrete Structures" by Park
and Paulay (p. 99).  For seismic design, the same issue is addressed in more
detail on pages 189-193 and 285-288 of "Seismic Design of Reinforced
Concrete and Masonry Buildings" by Paulay and Priestley.

In each of the cases noted above the discussion focuses on T-sections (not
box girders).

Michael Valley, P.E., S.E.                       E-mail: mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com