UBC

Brian,

Five page letters don't get read!  If it can't be said in a page, or a page
and a half at the most, then it isn't going to be read.

"Sir (or Madam):

Your attention is called to Section #### of the Project Specification
requiring shop drawings be submitted for review and approval.

Any deviations from the plans and specifications resulting from fabrication
errors will have to be corrected at the fabricator's expense and in a timely
manner.  Also, the contract price will be subject to adjustment.

VTY,

N. G. Neer

cc:  O. W. Ner"

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Brian Smith wrote:

>>I have a contractor who has decided he is going to fabricate a structural
steel building himself, without shop drawings.  I indicated that shop
drawings were a requirement of the project specifications and fabrication of
the steel without shop drawings would be considered a violation of the
specs.  I wrote a five page letter to the OWNER indicating the same
information.  It apparently went in one ear and out the other.  My question
is does the UBC specifically require that items fabricated off-site have
shop drawings prepared and approved?  This was somewhat hinted at in Charles
Greenlaw's post of 3/2/2000 relative to the bar joist submittals.<<