Re: X-ray equip and surgical light supports

Dear John,

John Riley wrote:

> 1) Does the structural designer of a medical building normally design the
> supports for x-ray equipment and surgical lighting within the scope of
> building design services?  I have done so in the past, and am currently
> working on one.  It's my judgement that these support structures require
> close to as much attention as the remainder of the building, mainly because
> determining the loading is difficult from the manufacturer's submitted
> literature.

Yes.  However, in California, hospitals are checked by a separate state building
department which handles only hospitals.  As part of the design, it is typical
to be given calcs by the equipment manufacturer's structural engineer which show
how anchorage loads are determined, so all the engineer needs to do, is take the
various reaction loads and apply them to the structure

> 2) For support of ceiling tracks for x-ray equipment, the manufacturer says
> the EOR shall verify that "support structure shall absorb 400 lbs falling
> through a distance of 6" with load absorbed by any 48" length of track."  My
> approach has been that the equivalent static load is determined by the
> absorbed energy (2400 in-lb) and is proportional to the moment of inertia of
> a beam or area of a tension member.  The equivalent static load is huge
> compared to the table of applied loads given in the manufacturer's load
> specifications.  My guess is deflection will almost always control.
> Question:  Is this type of dynamic load really used in design?

Haven't seen this requirement before.

> John P. Riley, SE
> Riley Engineering
> Blue Grass, Iowa