RE: Shop Drawings

The reply by Mark Gilligan reflects, in my opinion, part of the problem in
the steel fabrication industry.  Namely, that the AISC Code of Standard
Practice is used for design criteria alone, and all of the commentary and
other guidelines are ignored.  Most projects that I have been involved in
typically reference the code in the specifications, but then add a
disclaimer that where conflicts arise that the specifications govern.  In
effect, this make the "green book" nothing more than an expensive
paperweight.

One good questions - How many out there have actually read the code and
tried to understand the questions posed by fabricators in light of what it
says, and not by any other standard?  How many Architects and Engineers out
there understand that the code is the only industry standard reference that
we have to go by?

Thanks,
Alan Howell
Project Manager
Qualico Steel Company, Inc.
P.O. Box 149
Webb, AL  36376
Phone 334-793-1290
Fax     334-702-1118
email  ahowell(--nospam--at)qualicosteel.com

I walked a mile with pleasure, She chattered all the way;
But none was I the wiser for all she had to say.

I walked a mile with sorrow; Not a word said she;
But, oh, the lessons she taught me as sorrow walked with me.