Re: effective flange width for concrete box girder

I think the loading pattern and load path will dictate the efective width.
However, I suggest a quick FEM model using SAP2000 will give you a deifnitive
answer. Due to strain gradient between the edge and center of the flange, it is
unlikely that the center bars will reach yield unless the extreme bar have
elongated well past yield (maybe fractured). Also, the same argument applies for
compression.