Fwd: CE vs IT - IT HAPPENS

 I add the following   info to the debate  -  discussion:

Check out Boston Globe,  November 9,  1999
"Reinventing the Nerd",  by  Brian McGrory  (e-mail:  mcgrory(--nospam--at)globe.com)

You see,   "We have become a state of engineers,  fithy dirty,  obscenely
rich engineers",  so  McGrory states.

Who is he talking about   ???

Here's another:

Boston  Business Journal,  December  3-9,  1999,   Page 5
Staff Writer   Scott Van Voorhis

"For better or worse,  bridge building has been the province for decades of
pencil pushing engineers,  more interesting in ulitarian cost calculations
than elegant designs".    so states  Voorhis.

Maybe that's why are salaries are so low.

At what about IT  workers salaries
THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING  !!!!!
see Chicago SUN-TIMES,  Friday,  December 17,  1999,   Page   82

Facing  a 25-35 %  tunover for development engineers ,   a firm  PC Anything
-  San Francisco   (the company creates computer system links)  is recuiting
in MOSCOW  where experienced engineers can be had for  $10  an hour  !!!!

Finally I conclude with more bad news.

Do receive  CE  NEWS???

Check out the March  2000  issue  -  page 50

"The Future of Civil Engineering  -  It may not be so rosy"

Have a happy day

Bob  Johnson
SEAOI
NCSEA
m.ASCE
m.AEA

--- Begin Message ---

Crazy Al wrote:

I saw this thread on this message board that CE's in SFO make about 45k according to a SEAOC survey on their web site. http://www.ppi2pass.com/wwwboard/Engmessages/16181.html
This is rather a pathetic situation and people are changing careers from CE to the IT industry.  There is no rigorous board certification required in IT, not years of experience and of couse there is no question of liability insurance (see the note in most of the software agreement).

ARE WE SITTING IN A SINKING SHIP??

        No, we're too busy rearranging the deck chairs to sit.
WHERE IS OUR BRANCH HEADING?

    To the Seismolo Tree.

IS IT TIME TO JUMP SHIP?

        You mean right now?  When we're having such a hulluva time in our Rho Boat?  Try to be more flexible.

James Bela

Oregon Earthquake AwarenessTM        /      The Quake NorthwestTM
"We Have Nothing to Fear But CE vs ITself"        /        "We're All Subducting In This Together"
           "Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in awareness."  -- James Thurber

--- End Message ---