Fwd: CE vs IT - IT HAPPENS[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: SEAINT(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: Fwd: CE vs IT - IT HAPPENS
- From: Rbengrguy(--nospam--at)aol.com
- Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:51:44 EST
- Cc: NSPE(--nospam--at)aol.com, CHHgue(--nospam--at)aol.com, mwebster(--nospam--at)asce.org
In response to the recent thread of meesages CE vs. IT I add the following info to the debate - discussion: Check out Boston Globe, November 9, 1999 "Reinventing the Nerd", by Brian McGrory (e-mail: mcgrory(--nospam--at)globe.com) You see, "We have become a state of engineers, fithy dirty, obscenely rich engineers", so McGrory states. Who is he talking about ??? Here's another: Boston Business Journal, December 3-9, 1999, Page 5 Staff Writer Scott Van Voorhis "For better or worse, bridge building has been the province for decades of pencil pushing engineers, more interesting in ulitarian cost calculations than elegant designs". so states Voorhis. Maybe that's why are salaries are so low. At what about IT workers salaries THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING !!!!! see Chicago SUN-TIMES, Friday, December 17, 1999, Page 82 Facing a 25-35 % tunover for development engineers , a firm PC Anything - San Francisco (the company creates computer system links) is recuiting in MOSCOW where experienced engineers can be had for $10 an hour !!!! Finally I conclude with more bad news. Do receive CE NEWS??? Check out the March 2000 issue - page 50 "The Future of Civil Engineering - It may not be so rosy" Have a happy day Bob Johnson SEAOI NCSEA m.ASCE m.AEA
--- Begin Message ---
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: Re: CE vs IT - IT HAPPENS
- From: SASQUAKE <sasquake(--nospam--at)uswest.net>
- Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 23:38:46 -0800
- Delivered-to: fixup-seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org@fixme
Crazy Al wrote:I saw this thread on this message board that CE's in SFO make about 45k according to a SEAOC survey on their web site. http://www.ppi2pass.com/wwwboard/Engmessages/16181.htmlNo, we're too busy rearranging the deck chairs to sit.
This is rather a pathetic situation and people are changing careers from CE to the IT industry. There is no rigorous board certification required in IT, not years of experience and of couse there is no question of liability insurance (see the note in most of the software agreement).
ARE WE SITTING IN A SINKING SHIP??WHERE IS OUR BRANCH HEADING?You mean right now? When we're having such a hulluva time in our Rho Boat? Try to be more flexible.
To the Seismolo Tree.
IS IT TIME TO JUMP SHIP?
Oregon Earthquake AwarenessTM / The Quake NorthwestTM
"We Have Nothing to Fear But CE vs ITself" / "We're All Subducting In This Together"
"Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in awareness." -- James Thurber
--- End Message ---
- Prev by Subject: Re: CE vs IT - IT HAPPENS
- Next by Subject: Re: CE vs IT - IT HAPPENS
- Previous by thread: RE: shear wall blocking
- Next by thread: Re: CE vs IT - IT HAPPENS