Re: Shop drawings: who's responsibility?

George Hakim wrote:

>>How could the EOR determine that the structural drawings were complied with?
Who is primarily responsible for this compliance?
This is an integral part of the EOR's responsibility, it seems; i.e. to make
sure that the shop implimented his drawings and fabricated the structural
members accordingly.
Unless the owner or builder relieves the EOR of this responsibility, the EOR
is taking a major risk.  Should the owner or builder insist on not having
shop drawings prepared, the EOR should ask for a release of liability as to
any shop fabrication screw ups and any subsequent possible delays, extra
costs, etc...
This allocation of responsibility is better discussed at the contract
negotiation stages, as it could be a cause of disagreement with the owner,
builder or even the architect during construction.<<

An analogous situation (I think) would be a person going to a doctor
complaining about swollen feet.  The doctor looks at the feet and says that
he can't find anything wrong with the feet to cause them to swell.  The
person later dies of congestive heart failure and the doctor is sued for not
diagnosing this condition.  The doctor's defense is, "The patient complained
about swollen feet, not his heart, so I didn't look at the heart."

It is better to correct a problem, or potential problem, before it becomes a
problem.  Once something gets out in the field, we all know and have
experienced the plea, "Can we use it?", "How can we make it work?", "Can we
add 'this or that' to it?"

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona