RE: UBC

It is interesting to note that over past 20 years the Canadian Institute of
Steel Construction has renamed several times the shop drawing section in the
"CISC Code of Standard Practice For Structural Steel" to where the section
is now called "Fabrication and Erection Documents".  The section, in its
latest version, describes 5 separate and distinct documents that may be
prepared by a fabricator/erector.  The five documents being: 1) connection
design details, 2) shop details, 3) erection diagrams, 4) erection
procedures, and 5 ) field work details.

Depending on the size and scope of the project not all of the 5 documents
may be required.  I specify in the technical specifications section of the
contract documents which of the 5 documents are required for the specific
project.

The connection design details section is important in that the
fabricator/erector submits connection design details, which may include
calculations, that confirms to the designer that the intent of the design is
met.

I have been involved in many projects where this approach has worked
benifically for both the designer and fabricator.

Regards

Harry Olive, P.Eng., PE
Neill and Gunter
Fredericton, NB