RE: Shop drawings: who's responsibility?

O.K. ... but will the contractor put his profit on the line if he does not
actually finish the project six weeks ahead of schedule?  Or will he just
use the time as "fluff" for his schedule and keep his +/- 15% profit?
Here's my prediction:
Contractor does not produce shop drawings.  Everything goes well until a
dimensional problem is encountered.  No drawings exist so all concerned
parties will have to field verify the condition.  Design the fix, fab the
fix, proceed with construction.  A week here, a week there, and the
restaurant opens 8 weeks late instead of 6 weeks early.  Owner sues
contractor for delay and wins because the contractor did not submit shop
drawings as specified by EOR.
I wonder if Las Vegas bookmakers have a spread for when new construction
will actually open ... :o)
IMHO, let these people do whatever they want because they will do it anyway
regardless of what you say.  Sooner or later they will need your services
again (make sure you charge accordingly).  Several companies have stopped
marketing in this "commercial" market for situations and reasons similar to
what you have described.

Regards,
William J. Keil, P.E.

<  I agree.  That is why I posted the question initially.  I specified that
shop drawings be prepared, they were not.  The contractor told the OWNER it
would take 4 weeks for shop drawings, 2 weeks for review, and 2 weeks to fab
the steel.  The OWNER saw that as 8 weeks, as opposed to letting the
contractor run wild for 2 weeks, for a savings of 6 weeks.  This building is
a restaurant, that will generate $50,000 a week easily.  All the OWNER sees
is money.  >