RE: Shop drawings: who's responsibility?

Brian,

Building owners and managers have no concept of what can happen to their
building if it doesn't happen immediately.

About 15 years ago, I was called out to a *major* national drug store whose
manager had called the property manager about the "ceiling sagging."  Pulling
tiles in the ceiling revealed that the tension chord splice of a metal plate
connected wood truss had pulled loose.  The truss was one of three that was
supporting one of the very large, roof mounted air conditioning units.  We
got a contractor out to install shoring and I called Building Safety to
report the failure.  I also told the manager to keep the doors unlocked while
any employee or contractor's worker was in the store and to keep an employee
stationed by the door to keep the public out.  About every 5 minutes, I was
asked when they could reopen.  Because he needed the employees to restock the
shelves for the day's business, the entry doors were kept locked, which I
discovered when the city's inspector tapped on the window.  Then the district
manager showed up and wanted to know when they could reopen because they were
loosing business.  Loyalty is to self, not to the company, as the store
manager's bonus and the area manager's bonus is tied to revenue produced.

Similarly, I was called out to a roof failure of a women's contemporary
clothing store.  The manager was livid when she learned that the store would
probably be closed for four to six months.  The store did $7,000 worth of
business a day, and that reflected on her performance and bonus.

The attitude appeared to be, "The roof is still up there; I don't see what
the big problem is."

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Brian Smith wrote:

>>The contractor told the OWNER it would take 4 weeks for shop drawings, 2
weeks for review, and 2 weeks to fab the steel. The OWNER saw that as 8 weeks,
as opposed to letting the contractor run wild for 2 weeks, for a savings of 6
weeks.  This building is a restaurant, that will generate $50,000 a week
easily.  All the OWNER sees is money.<<