RE: Shop drawings: who's responsibility?

Brian,

I will relate another couple of war stories.

An owner who was also the contractor hired a reputable geotechnical engineer
to do soil borings and monitor compaction for a shopping center.  The
borings were done and the report was generated.  Cutting and filling work
started.  The contractor had to remove and recompact during fill operations
a couple of times because tests indicated a lack of proper compaction.  The
owner / contractor fired the geotechnical engineer and completed the
project.

After 5 years the property was sold.  After an additional 2 or 3 years,
various settlement problems included window wall systems coming apart, rain
flowing from a sidewalk into an entry, doors that were dragging on the
floors, and other differential settlement problems.  The current owners sued
the pants off the original owner / contractor.  Repair costs were huge.  A
penny chiseled was a thousand dollars lost.

One more.
A masonry repair contract was developed for a 22 story historic masonry clad
building.  The contractor waited until the entire south elevation was
completed before asking for an inspection.  I rode the stage up the entire
22 floors of one section.  I removed 10 samples for testing.  All 10 failed
to meet specification.  The foreman concurred that 10 of the 10 samples did
not meet specification and acknowledged that it was indicative of the entire
south elevation.  I asked the foreman what other engineers did regarding
inspection of this type of work.  He told me in 20 years of doing masonry
rehabilitation, I was the first engineer to ride the stage above the second
floor.  The work originally scheduled for 1 year took 3 years to complete.

Regards,
Harold Sprague