Re: shear wall blocking

A question to answer a question..... I had always though that blocking
in a shearwall (and non-shearwalls) was an integral part that prevented
stud buckling.  If you set the blocking in loose, all you have is the
nailing in the plywood.  Maybe that's enough?

David A. Hall, S.E., P.E.
Senior Structural Engineer
David Evans and Associates, Inc.
2828 SW Corbett Ave
Portland, OR 97201
503-499-0280
Fax 503-223-2701
E-Mail dahl(--nospam--at)deainc.com

>>> jwatson(--nospam--at)inconnect.com 03/10/00 05:50AM >>>
> John Fulginiti wrote:
>
> A contractor asked me if he can cut shear wall blocking 1/4 inch short
> each end
> to make it easier to fit between the studs.  I always assumed it was
> installed tight.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Thanks .
>
> John Fulginiti
> Spokane, Wa

Stud and joists are considered braced in the weak direction by the diaphragm.   I also agree that the transfer at the plywood is transfered through the connection of the plywood and the blocking and that exact fit is desired but not a reason to have the blocking removed and replaced.  If there is a concern, consider adding glue in an addition to the nailing.