RE: Shop drawings: who's responsibility?

One of the biggest fears I have is that this contractor is a "BUBBA."  And
coming from a red neck that is pretty bad.  I specified that all "W"
sections were to be A572-50.  With shop drawings, I can make sure that
A572GR50 is on each sheet.  I can here this guy ordering steel now, "Yea, I
need some of them W16's".  In fact, I forwarded a column schedule with the
top of columns noted.  This guy wrote a letter to the architect,
recalculating all of the column heights using the nominal beam depths.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.