From: chuckuc [mailto:chuckuc(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2000 10:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: shear wall blocking

George-
A better question is does anyone apply the
reduction to shearwall capacity when
the studs and sills are green?  I've heard both
Dan Dolan (a notorious
"liberalizer" from Virginia Tech) and Buddy
Showalter opine that we should, but
I've never seen anyone do it.

As to flat blocking, visualize the sheathing as a
diagonal tension field.  The
blocks don't rotate so they don't need a tight
fit, but they are in cross grain
tension.  The deeper the section the less the
tendency to split.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any test data on
either issue.
Chuck Utzman

******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
*   This email was sent to you via Structural
Engineers
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC)
server. To
*   admin(--nospam--at)seaint.org and in the body of the
message type
*   "join seaint" (no quotes). To Unsubscribe,
send email
*   to admin(--nospam--at)seaint.org and in the body of the
message
*   type "leave seaint" (no quotes). For
questions, send
*   email to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any
email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be
re-posted
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit
our web
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org
********