RE: Shop drawings: who's responsibility?

James,

I was lucky.  The owner backed me 100%.  They even supplied legal muscle.

The specifications were not that complicated.  We had pointing mortar
thickness, sealant thickness, bonding requirements and the famous "per
manufacturer's requirements".  Sealants were insufficient in thickness,
pointing mortar was of insufficient thickness, sealants failed in bond to
substrate when tested, glazing sealants failed due to improper masonry
cleaning, the manufacturers justifiably refused to accept the installation,
and so did I.  The bottom 2 floors looked great.  The next 20 floors up were
terrible.  I did my sampling from the 3rd floor to the 22nd floor.

Historic cladding rehabilitation is fun.  It is engineering, material
science, architecture, and old fashioned spit and cuss (if you hit someone
from the 22nd floor, you can blame it on a bird).  The architects did not
argue over turf, when it required riding the swing stage up a tall building
on a windy day.  But then again, I had one engineering assistant quit and go
home. When he got to the 6th floor, a mason tried to calm my assistant's
nerves by equating a fall to various sizes of pizza on the sidewalk.  Masons
are not very good psychologists.

Regards,
Harold Sprague