Re: H-Piles Cap Plates

Harry:

I wondered about this many years ago and discovered this subject in a
book entitled "Steel H-Piles" by Bethlehem Steel published Jan., 1970 in
Section 11, Accessories.

Here is a short recap of what it says.........

It has been shown that an adequately designed reinforced concrete pile
cap does not require steel plates to transmit the load to the H-piles.
Research by the State of Ohio Department of Highways in 1947
demonstrated this with a very comprehensive series of tests, the results
of which were published in their Research Report No. 1....
More recent investigations of the confined compressive strength of
concrete tend to confirm that the Ohio test results are theoretically
correct. For example, it has been found that 3500 psi concrete can
withstand pressures in excess of 60,000 psi when laterally confined.

I can fax you a copy of this page if you would like.  I, however, do not
have a copy of the Ohio Tests. You should be able to obtain copies of
these tests from your local library.

Incidently, I usually use cap plates, like most engineers do.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.