RE: H-Piles Cap Plates

Harry,

This was researched and tested several years ago by Lehigh and GAI
Consultants.  Reference "The Steel Pile Pile Cap Connection", 1982,
published by AISI.  Basically, leave the cap plates off.  The only time a
connection plate may be required is for uplift.  I know the bearing stresses
get high, but the concrete is confined. The same holds true under the head
of anchor rods, tests by the Texas DOT and TVA (for ACI 349 appendix B) show
that the high local bearing stresses are not a problem.

The confined bearing strength of concrete was quantified for the first time
in "Strength Design of Anchorage to Concrete", by Cook, 1999, PCA.  You will
see the strength can go to 8.0 * f'c.

Regards,
Harold Sprague