Bearing on Exist. Clay Tile Wall?

A customer wants a retrofit that includes bearing about 6 to 8 kips on a 12" clay tile masonry bearing wall.  In addition, the steel beam can't penetrate the exterior face of the wall.

I have seen cases where point loads were carried on the inside face of CMU walls, I wasn't sure if that was a good idea...now we're dealing with older clay tile...  But the loads are relatively small and we're not in a seismic area.

We have thought about core filling (3) courses below, by 24" wide and using a wide bearing plate.  The concern is whether or not the grout will distribute the load into the wall to prevent crushing, cracking, and eccentricity.  Has anyone had experience with this kind of detail?

Thanks in advance.

Ed Fasula, EIT