Re: Shop drawing review stamp

But what do you mean when you say this?  Do you mean that you are approving
it?  How does the fabricator understand this?  Does he think that you are
approving the shop drawings, or is he going to claim that that is what he
understood?  If you say something say it in words that cannot be
misunderstood.

Insurers at one time recommended that project files be destroyed upon
completion of a project.  Now they (at least CNA) recommends that you keep
everything.  The act of destroying everything sends a bad message to a jury
and even if you did everything perfectly, you can't prove it and the fact
that you destroyed everything implies that you are hiding something.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Thor Tandy wrote:

>>We have been cautioned by our insurances in Canada to avoid the use of
"approved".  Better to use "reviewed as noted" or "reviewed (for general
conformance with the construction specifications)" ... etc.  By doing that it
has been suggested that although we confirm that we have done our duty of care
we do not guarantee that the shop drawings are free from exposure to
liability.  We also often have in our review statements clause(s) emphasizing
that the responsibility for fabrication,relevant and any associated design,
still lies with the user of the drawings.<<