RE: WM.Colors.AK Virus possibly received

I looked thru all attachments that came thru today (March 14, 2K) and they
were all HTML versions of the ASCII message.

One strange post that I received today had three parts, all of which were
binary (or perceived as binary) by my ISP, and I deleted them.  Normally,
parts two or three are saved in my Download directory but these weren't.

Outlook is notorious for being easily infected thru e-mail downloads,
particularly if you have it set to automatically open attachments.  Windoze
is equally notorious for being infected.  One virus that I have heard of
sends a 1 pixel by 1 pixel icon to your screen, which does not get noticed,
then executes the icon.  Javascript can take over your computer and do things
to it that you could not imagine.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Discoe, Maia wrote:

>>No, not an attachment.  It occurred when I started to open a message.  The
virus affected a file that allows me to have rich text attributes in my
email (MS Outlook 2000).  I keep Norton AntiVirus updated and enabled
(checks files as they are opened) so I assume that the virus came with the
email.  I admit I am a little confused about how this works; I thought a
virus could only come in through an executable file. It was our resident
computer guru that said it came from the email I was opening.  Perhaps
someone out there can shed more light on the subject.

I would also like to state that I am in no way making accusations or trying
to point fingers.  I just wanted to point out a possible problem we may all
have in common.  An ounce of prevention . . . . .