RE: Performance/Ductility

The easiest approach is to use the acceptance criteria (plastic rotation
angles) found in Table 6-7 of FEMA 273, which explicitly reflect the level
of axial loading, transverse detailing, and level of shear demand (and
implicitly take cyclic response into account).

When developing my own moment-curvature relations I make a point of
considering the full range of axial load levels that I anticipate; the
curvature ductility capacity is strongly influenced by the presence of axial
loads.  If you don't want to use the entire family of curves in your
analysis, the only single value that is guaranteed to be conservative is the
curvature ductility capacity at the maximum axial load.  Based on
engineering judgement you might be able to rationalize a "typical maximum"
load that is some multiple (greater than unity) of the maximum gravity axial
load.  For very regular frames you might be able to feel comfortable with
this level of approximation; for irregular systems, the results might vary
so widely that this approach would not be reasonable.  The least effort
solution is probably to start with the curvature ductility capacity based on
the maximum axial load and then perform additional checks (with "correct"
demands) on those columns that don't pass.

Michael Valley, P.E., S.E.                       E-mail: mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com