RE: vertical control joints in long CIP concrete shear walls

Dave,

Often, there are times when joints are not acceptable.  On those occasions,
some amount larger than the minimum steel is used in order to minimize the
cracks.  An example is contained in the ACI 350, where crack widths must be
predicted for proper performance.  If you are using the minimum steel, and
joints are acceptable, half the horizontal steel is cut as in the PCA and a
joint is formed in the concrete.  The obvious exception is at the chords and
collectors where the rebar is continuous.

The same holds true in concrete masonry walls, except all the horizontal
steel is interrupted at the joint except the chords at the top.  And there
is no ACI 350 type guidance to eliminate the joints.

Regards,
Harold Sprague