Re:

Unknown wrote:

Jake Watson wrote:

Subject: Wood Shearwall

I am renovating an existing grocery store here in SLC.  The existing exterior walls are sheathed with "Asphalt Impregnated Fiber Board".  Does anyone know what this is?  Does it have a shear value?  Or do I need to replace it all.

While it may be tempting to be generous to an asphalt (impregnated fiber board), the Wasatch Fault is likely not to be so forgiving.  It would be best to make sure you end up with what the code recognizes as "structural sheathing" - then you know what it means.

That's all she wrote:

James Bela

Oregon Earthquake AwarenessTM        /      The Quake NorthwestTM
"We Have Nothing to Fear But Shear Itself"        /        "We're All Subducting In This Together"
           "Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in awareness."  -- James Thurber