RE: OHBDC-nail laminated wood deck

David:

Clause 5.3.6 "Distribution of Wheel Loads on Wood Decks" of CAN/CSA-S6-88
reads as follows:

5.3.6.1  Wheel Loads

Wheel loads to be applied in the design of wood decks and transverse deck
supports located less than 2000 mm apart shell be based on two axle loads of
0.2 W each, spaced 1250 mm apart.  Each wheel load shall be distributed as
follows:

(a)   Transverse Decking

(i)   in the direction of the span of deck:  600 mm;
(ii)  normal to the direction of the span of deck:
      plank deck:  width of plank;
      laminated deck:  400 mm

(b)  Longitudinal Decking

(i)   in the direction of span of deck:  250 mm
(ii)  normal to the direction of span of deck:
      plank deck:  one width of plank per tire;
      laminated deck:  600 mm plus deck thickness

The CSA design truck has 4 axles spaced at 4m - 6m - 6m with the
corresponding axle loads 0.1W - 0.3W - 0.3W - 0.3W where W is the total load
of the design truck in kN.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Harry Olive, P.Eng. P.E.