Quality Control Manual

Here at our firm we are in the process of putting together a "Quality
Control" manual for use in our day to day plans production efforts. We are
doing primarily transportation work now (esp. bridges, culverts, retaining
walls etc.), but we are working to grow our efforts in other areas as well.

I would be interested in a discussion (and, serendipity, some examples) of
what should be included in such a manual.

It has come to my attention based on earlier efforts, that sometimes
"Quality Control" (the "checking", etc.) is not enough; you must have
"Quality Assurance" ("Checking the checking"). The "QA" part when it is
missing can lead to difficulties when the project goes to construction. What
are the ideas of some of you in this regard?

Thanks.