RE: Statute of Limitations

Jim,

>From time to time the Arizona legislature passes a "statute of repose," which
is followed shortly by the courts ruling that it is unconstitutional.  I
don't know if there is a statute of repose currently in effect as of now, but
if there is, it will probably be ruled unconstitutional in the near future.

The statutes of repose that I am familiar with have had periods of two to 10
years, but contained exemptions if there was a death or injury.

So .... I would consider moving the load from the attic to the basement.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

P.S.  Your name is familiar.  Were you in one of the classes that I taught at
the U of A?

Jim Persing wrote:

>>Roger,

I guess I should have made myself more clear.  I have an attic full of
structural engineering design documents, mostly from Arizona, ranging from
10 to 20 years old.  My question is how long should I expect to have to
retain those documents if I ever have to defend myself regarding the design
of any of those projects?  About 10 years ago Arizona had no statute of
limitations for professional engineers but some proposals were in process in
the state legislature.  Did any of those ever pass and, if so, what were
they?<<