beam splice - full pen weld requirements

We have a job where we need W36X260 beams that are
longer than are readily available.  The fabricator
wants to buy pieces and put them together with full
penetration welds.  If I get the welds tested, is
there
anything else to worry about?  I know that it is
better to have a certified welder, but if I plan on
testing the welds, is this required or just a good
idea to make up for any shortcomings in the testing?
As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge,
Ken