Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: beam splice - full pen weld requirements

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
AWS D1.1 and your local building code, by reference either directly or
indirectly, require the used of qualified welders (tested by AWS D1.1
methods by the employing contractor, not necessarily tested by an approved
AWS lab). So yes, you need a QUALIFIED, but not ceetified welder.

NDT would also be a good idea, probably scanning by UT of the flanges. I
assume the splices will be near the end, not in the middle of the span. Make
sure you have a skilled UT technician out there also, at least NDT Level II.
To be on the safe side (and to comply with building code special inspection
requirements), the welder must be observed by an approved inspector during
welding, so you can't rely solely upon NDT.

Bob Shaw
Steel Structures Tech Center

-----Original Message-----
From: KSP [mailto:lvtakp(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2000 3:20 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: beam splice - full pen weld requirements

We have a job where we need W36X260 beams that are
longer than are readily available.  The fabricator
wants to buy pieces and put them together with full
penetration welds.  If I get the welds tested, is
anything else to worry about?  I know that it is
better to have a certified welder, but if I plan on
testing the welds, is this required or just a good
idea to make up for any shortcomings in the testing?
As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge,

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.