Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: beam splice - full pen weld requirements

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]


One thing to note about referencing AWS D1.1 is that it will give requirements
for welding and provide testing procedures but it DOES NOT
 say when or which tests are required.  If you want the welds tested, which I
highly recommend, then you need to specifically describe which
tests you want to have performed such as UT, mag particle, dye penetrant, etc.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor Daniel

Please respond to seaint(--nospam--at)

To:   "'seaint(--nospam--at)'" <seaint(--nospam--at)>
cc:    (bcc: Tom Hunt/AV/FD/FluorCorp)

Subject:  RE: beam splice - full pen weld requirements

Simply put, if you will have the fabricator follow all the requirements of
AWS D 1.1, you are pretty much where you want to be. This standard covers
not only the design of the welds, but requirements for certification and

If you just ask for the documents that AWS D 1.1 requires, you'll have
little probability of problems.

-----Original Message-----
From: KSP [mailto:lvtakp(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2000 2:20 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: beam splice - full pen weld requirements

We have a job where we need W36X260 beams that are
longer than are readily available.  The fabricator
wants to buy pieces and put them together with full
penetration welds.  If I get the welds tested, is
anything else to worry about?  I know that it is
better to have a certified welder, but if I plan on
testing the welds, is this required or just a good
idea to make up for any shortcomings in the testing?
As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge,