RE: Statute of Limitations

In most cases you are damned if you do or don't.  I recently design a
million dollar plus home where I used proprietary shear walls (with an
envelope solution taking the worst case flexible/rigid  wind/seismic) and
still sheathed the exterior of the home. I considered it a redundant system
as I did not have the confidence that the braced frames would provide
sufficient rigidity (although they are calculated to be four times stiffer
than plywood) and specified the plywood because I understood from experience
how it would behave.
Needless to say, with a redundant system, I was still called on the rug by
the contractor who believes that the extra cost of the sheathing was a waste
of money. He informed the architect who had already decided to replace me
with a new firm in town who will do the engineering for less money and more
economically.

The only thing I can say in defense of this is that I know of no engineer
who has been found liable in court for over-designing.  I know many who
settled out of court, but few who were found liable for using conservative
engineering judgment.

We are in a sorry state where we become gun-shy of doing our work for fear
that someone will question or judgment and scrutinize the work we do. It
makes one feel that the legal opportunities seriously negate the work we do
and we end up, in the end, returning more than our fee's for the work that
gets constructed. Why bother to work. It's cheaper to be unemployed at the
rate the legal system is destroying us.

To be fair -as I am sure I sound tremendously pessimistic and paranoid - but
code and policy makers are not helping when new codes create loopholes and
ambiguities that lawyers smell like blood to a shark. I think the policy
makers and code writers should spend a lot more time studying the
consequences of their work. Who can blame a lawyer for an opportunity
created by those who should be protecting engineers - their peers.

Dennis S. Wish, PE