From: John Riley [mailto:jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2000 8:15 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Heat-straightening of Structural Steel

An insurance company has hired me to investigate repair to an impact-damaged
bridge; concrete deck on four steel plate girders (48"?).  Bottom flanges of
two girders were displaced laterally, maybe 3 inches, and locally buckled.
The girder top flange and the concrete deck appear unaffected.

My thought is that the girders could be (a) realigned using a combination of
force (applied to bottom flange) and heat (applied to flange and web) and
(b) "cut and paste" at the localized buckling.  Of course the owner wants a
new bridge.

So, I'd like to find relevant information on this type of repair.

Thank you,

John P. Riley, SE
Riley Engineering
Blue Grass, Iowa