AISC Certification

Mike,

Under the UBC there are "approved fabricators," who can be approved by the
jurisdiction or the jurisdiction accepts certification by a national or
regional certification agency.  The only difference in requirements between
an "approved fabricator" and a fabricator that is not approved is that
Special Inspection in the shop is not necessary for the "approved fabricator."

If you are working under the UBC, your client should be aware that shop
special inspection would be necessary if the low bid includes the price from
a fabricator that is not approved by any agency.  If you are not working
under the UBC or a code that has similar special inspection requirements,
you should seriously consider requiring additional shop inspections.

If the bidding instructions issued for the project contain the common
requirement that the Owner has the right to waive any irregularities or
requirements, then the Owner can permit the unapproved fabricator to bid.
The decision has to be up to the Owner, but with your recommendations.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Michael Zaitz wrote:

>>I have a project where a steel fabricator who does not have AISC
certification wants to bid on the job ( a 160,000 sq ft manufacturing
facility).  Our specs typ have the clause that the fabricator be AISC
certified.  Is there any hard reason to disqualify them or will this open us
up to litigation?  Based on my reading of the AISC certification it does not
guarantee a fabricator's expertise but at least it is a good start.  Is
there any documentation I can make them submit before approving/ rejecting
them (ie AWS certs etc.)?<<