Re: Concrete Joist Shear

	If you are leaning toward carbon fiber (SIKA CarboDur?) be aware that
generally, it creates a fire rating issue.  The carbon can't be used as
a "primary force element" because as it gets hot, it will delaminate and
you will lose your load carrying capacity.  This could lead to a
catastrophic failure.  You could look a fire protection systems, but I
don't have any suggestions there.

Does the soil have to be saturated?

Could you use a peat or other highly organic (light weight) soil?

What about a nonlinear strain distribution in the concrete?  You could
use a parabolic stress block.  May help, never done it before.

Worst case: Sister a steel plate along side (dowel and epoxy?) the
joist.  Check plate bucking etc., but you could probably use the beam to
stabilize the plate.

Post tension along side the existing joist?  If I remember right, by
post tensioning you get better shear values as well.

Just thinking out loud (sorta....)

Good luck,
Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT