Re: 4 Way Flat Slabs

John:

Concrete Engineer's Handbook by Hool and Johnson, 1918, covers most of
the common systems in use at that time including 2 way, 4 way,
circumferential and 3 way. Many of these systems were being designed by
simplisitic methods, before we really knew how to accurately analyze
them. For this reason, I would recommend analysis by today's methods.

As I recall, it is not uncommon to find deficiencies in some strips and
overdesign in others, if analyzed by today's methods. You can analyze a
4 way slab by computing the area of steel by taking the orthogonal
component of the diagonal steel.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.