Re: Quick/Easy Question for Seismic List

I'm not familiar with the BOCA, but in the '97 UBC the limits are 0.025 or
0.02 (depending of period) times the story height (1630.10.2).  Thereby, if
your story height is in inches, your limit is in inches, if you use a story
height in feet, you get feet as your limit:

0.02(74') = 1.48'
0.02(888") = 17.76"

And of course, 17.76" = 1.48'.  This is just a limit of 2%, units don't
matter as long as you stay consistent.  That is why there is no metric
specific reference for that equation, as would be required if the 2% was a
feet to inches specific equation.  1.48" would be awfully small for a 74'
tall building.  The 2% value refers to a drift level arrived at via research
as a reasonable level for a building to sustain.  Buildings that reach 3% or
4% tend to do poorly, but of course, these levels are vast generalizations.

Paul Crocker