RE: Quick/Easy Question for Seismic List

You appear to be absolutely correct regarding the units.  Doesn't
matter.  I was just confused about the magnitude of the drift.  I think
somebody else on the list hit on something this morning.  This is an
inelastic drift limit.  Elastic deflections from our computer analysis
should be amplified by Cd (4.5 in this case) for comparison.  If we take
the 1.48' or 17.76" divided by 4.5, we get an elastic drift limit of
around 3.9".  I understand from the reponses that we need to look at
story drift, between stories.  However, based on our previous
discussions, a total height of 74', etc...our allowable elastic drift
limit would be around 3.9" which seems more realistic.  Inelastic drift
would then be the 17.76".  I read that the UBC uses something like 0.005
times story height.  If you take the 0.02(hsx) value of drift limit for
BOCA, and divide by the amplification factor (Cd = 4.5), then we get
something close to what UBC has.

Sorry for the previous confusion on height of the building, number of
stories, etc.

Thanks Paul,

Mike